|Dixon Sebree Providence Clay Slaughters Wheatcroft Blackford Poole Onton|
Clay is on KY 130, 132, and 270, 6 1/2 miles wsw of Dixon. Established on July 6, 1837, the Clay post office, with Thomas W. Powell, postmaster, was first called Ashland, probably for Henry Clay's Lexington home.
After an intermittent existence it was renamed Clay in 1854. It was discontinued in 1865 and re-established for a brief time the following year as Winstead with Bush D. Winstead (1837-1867), a local merchant and Webster County's first circuit court clerk, as postmaster.
The Clay name was restored 3 months later. The town was incorporated as Claysville in 1860 and as Clay in 1872.
Source: Robert M. Rennick's Kentucky Place Names
Kentucky Main Street Program
Clay is a member of the Kentucky Main Street Program - Celebrating 27 Years of Reinvesting In Downtown.
The economic decline witnessed by many of Kentucky's central business districts over the past thirty years, threatened the many architecturally and historically significant buildings in these downtowns. Based on the need to preserve not only the buildings, but also the economic vitality of a communities's downtown, the Kentucky Heritage Council developed the Kentucky Main Street Program to assist communities with revitalization efforts.
Kentucky Main Street Community Coordinator:
Festivals & Events
Purple Opry House - Sebree
Dogwood Valley Trading Post - Clay
Places of Interest
Warner Historic Museum -
Collection of photography, memorabilia, written & oral history. 500 S Broadway
St., Providence 270-667-5022
Sports & Outdoors
© 2012 Webster County Fiscal Court, Dixon, Kentucky 42409 270-639-5042